Prep time30 minutes
- 15 sheets Pampas Filo Pastry
- 150g butter, melted
- 1½ cups (375ml) milk
- 4 large orange peel
- 3 eggs
- ½ cups (110g) caster sugar
- ½ tspn ground cardamom
- ⅓ cup (45g) slivered almonds, toasted
- To drizzle Golden syrup
- To sprinkle Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180˚C conventional or 160˚C fan-forced. Grease and line base and sides of a 20cm (base measurement) cake tin with baking paper.
- Place pastry on bench top and cover lightly with a damp cloth to prevent pastry from drying out and cracking. Brush 1 sheet with butter. Fold lengthways into 3 (like an envelope). Coil up long strip to create a rosette. Repeat with remaining pastry and more butter. Place rosettes of pastry, standing, in cake tin. Generously brush top with remaining butter and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, place milk and rind in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Set aside for 10 minutes. Discard peel. Whisk eggs, caster sugar and cardamom in a medium bowl until well combined. Gradually whisk in hot milk until combined.
- Remove tin from oven and pour over egg mixture. Bake for another 30 minutes or until custard sets. Remove from the oven and stand for 10 minutes. Cover tin with a plate lined with baking paper. Flip cake onto plate. Gently cover with serving plate and turn cake onto plate. While still hot, drizzle with golden syrup and sprinkle with almonds and icing sugar. Serve immediately.