Prep time10 mins
- 1 Pampas Butter Puff Pastry
- 1 Pampas Shortcrust Pastry
- 400g Shredded left over chicken
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Broccoli
- 1 cup Green beans
- ½ Zucchini
- 1 handful Rocket
- 1 pinch Thyme
- 4 Spring Onions
- For the Sauce:
- 600mL Milk
- 60g Butter
- 60g Flour
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- 100g Cheese
- 1 Egg
- Pinch Nigella Seeds (or sesame seeds)
Create the perfect Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- Place a saucepan of water on the stove on a high heat. Whilst the water is boiling chop the vegetables roughly.
- Once the water is boiling, add the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes then drain. Place the same pot straight back onto the stove to start the sauce in.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
- To make the sauce: Pour the milk into a small pan on a medium heat to warm for the sauce.
- Place the butter into the pot a medium heat. Once its melted and foaming add the flour and use a whisk to keep the flour butter mixture moving. Let to fry a little then stir again. Cook for at least 1 minute to cook the flour out so we get a creamy sauce that’s not floury. Add 1/3 of the warm milk and whisk. Add the rest of the milk and whisk till smooth and boiling. Cook for 3 minutes stirring often. Turn off the heat and add a pinch of nutmeg, pepper and salt. Grate in or tear in the cheese. Mix well.
- Add the rocket, herbs, chicken and vegetables and mix through. Chop the herbs and spring onions and mix through. Place the mixture in the fridge to cool.
- Spray the pie dish with some spray oil. Lay in 1 sheet on the shortcrust pastry leaving a few cm hanging over the sides. Cut some strips from the other sheet to cover the ends with a few cm over hang. Press the joins firmly to join the pastry. Add the filling mixture and press in well leaving no gaps. Brush the overhanging pastry with the egg white. Cut the puff pastry sheet to cover the dish with a few cm over hang, to be roughly the same size as the shortcrust.
- Press the pastry together then trim so it’s only slightly over hanging the dish. Pinch the edges firmly and press into the dish so the edges are joined well and not stuck on the top edge of the dish.
- Mix the egg yolk with a splash of milk and generously brush the top of the pie. Sprinkle with nigella seeds. Bake for 20 minutes then drop the heat by 20 degrees and cook for 20 – 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is warm.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and let sit for about 8 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to make sure it’s not stuck. Next place a board over the pie and flip it. Place another board over the pie and flip again so it’s up the right way. Use a bread knife to cut the pie. Serve with some dressed salad leafs or any leftover salads on the side.