- 8 sheets PAMPAS Shortcrust Pastry, thawed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup beef stock
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 160g mozzarella, diced into 2 cm cubes
- 16 basil leaves
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
Create a new familly favourite with pastry and bolognese
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add onion and garlic, cooking for several minutes until tender. Increase heat and add beef, cooking until well browned. Stir in tomato paste, cooking a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, stock, balsamic, sugar and rosemary to pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until liquid has reduced slightly. Allow to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Lightly oil 16, ¾ cup capacity muffin pans.
- Lay pastry on benchtop and cut 2 x 14 cm rounds from each. Cut out a small triangular shaped piece from the top of each pastry round, approx. 3cm in length towards centre of round and 2 ½ cm across the outer edge. Repeat this at the bottom and each side of the pastry round.
- Press pastry rounds into muffin pans, overlapping and pressing together slightly where cuts were made. Place a tablespoon of beef mixture into each, followed by a cube of mozzarella and a basil leaf. Spoon another tablespoon of beef mixture over the cheese.
- Brush edges of pastry with egg wash and bring towards the centre overlapping to enclose. You will have a small steam hole in the centre. Bake for 20 minutes until pastry is golden. Serve immediately.