- 6 sheets PAMPAS Filo Pastry, thawed
- ¼ cup (55g) CSR Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom
- ¼ cup (25g) hazelnut or almond meal
- 60g butter, melted
- 825g can apricot halves in natural juice, drained, juice reserved
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp CSR Caster Sugar, extra
- 20g roasted pistachios or other nuts, chopped coarsely
- - CSR Pure Icing Sugar and vanilla ice-cream or cream, to serve
TIPS: You could also use 12 small fresh apricots, when in season, in this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 210°C (190°C fan-forced). Combine 2 tbsp of the caster sugar, the cinnamon and hazelnut meal in a bowl. Place a large piece of baking paper on a work surface. Layer pastry sheets on paper, brushing each layer with some of the butter and sprinkling with some of the sugar mixture; place them at a slight angle to each other, slightly overlapping each sheet like the hands of a clock, to form a circle (see page 74 for tips when using filo pastry).
- Pat apricots dry with paper towel. Combine cream cheese and remaining caster sugar in a bowl. Dollop small spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture in centre of pastry, carefully spread into a 22cm round. Top with apricot halves, cut-side up. Fold pastry over edges to form a round.
- Slide paper with danish onto an oven tray; bake 20 minutes or until golden and pastry is cooked. Meanwhile, combine reserved juice, vanilla and extra sugar in a saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool. To serve, drizzle danish with syrup, sprinkle with pistachios and dust with icing sugar; serve with ice-cream or cream.